Orignally posted allwomenalltrails blog. You can find it here

I jumped out of the car and said my goodbyes to Richard and knew I’d see him in a week. The weather wasn’t sunny but it also wasn’t raining anymore. I spotted the trail and took off. I felt so happy to be stepping back on that trail only to be guided by the familiarity of the white blazes marked on trees. Soon after I began my ascent up the mountain,  I passed some younger college kids with their two dogs. The one girl put her scarf up over her nose as if she didn’t just see me hop out of the car and should have known I wasn’t a thru-hiker that smelled terrible.

Quickly recovering from that action, I continued to summit Springer Mountain. Springer Mountain is the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Whether you start a southbound hike or a northbound hike, it is either your starting or ending point of the 2,189-mile journey. I was definitely a little disappointed by the view and felt like I understood why so many people choose to hike Northbound to Katahdin because of the big payoff/ reward.


Taking a selfie with the plaque
Another plaque
A better view of the first white blaze and plaque
The view at the top of Springer Mountain

After taking my photos, I decided to head to the Springer shelter because I wanted to use the privy. I passed this sign right before heading to the shelter. The actual shelter area was roped off with caution tape.

Realities of the trail
This privy didn’t have a door…
An example of a privy


In order to summit Springer Mountain, I had to hike the 1 mile up and the 1 mile back to the parking lot. After using the privy, I was headed back towards the parking lot. I ran into a middle-aged couple, who stopped and asked if I was a thru-hiker. I politely declined and informed them that I just started a section hike. The women informed me even that would be quite the accomplishment. They proceeded to ask me if I had seen two bearded guys.  I hadn’t. Then they told me their son and his friend were completing their Southbound thru hike today and planned on meeting them at Springer. I told them I would keep an eye out for the pair as I was continuing to hike on.

Another view
View through the trees!


In awe of actually being in Georgia, I was mesmerized by my surroundings. I only had 1.8 miles to the Stover Creek Shelter. Right before reaching the shelter, I ran into one of the bearded guys. Informing him of his parents, I congratulated him and hiked to the shelter.

I reached the Stover Creek Shelter a little after 3:00PM and was contemplating whether or not I wanted to try and make it to the next shelter before dark. I had reached my goal for the day. Another deciding factor was two young college boys, Alex and Ben, were sleeping there that night, which meant I wouldn’t have to camp alone. Their tent was already set up behind the shelter, which surprised me because of the incoming rain. Ben claimed he didn’t like shelters because of the mice. I decided I should stay and would sleep up in the loft feeling safer being up higher. I laid out my tent footprint, blew up my air mattress and pillow, set up my sleeping bag, and laid out my sleep clothes.

Then I walked around trying to find cell phone service, which I happened to find long enough to send a text or two. If you stood by this one tree or post, you could get service for about 2 minutes. I began to settle in for the night.

Ben and Alex, trail names Tree Meister and Brother Bear, and I hung out around the picnic table. They informed me they were college students from Georiga planning on doing a couple of overnights before heading back to school. Ben was in the ROTC and had some backpacking experience. Alex was going to school for Marine Biology and just came to keep Ben company. They were also vlogging the experience and featured me multiple times.

If people have a trail name, that is usually what you introduce yourself as mine is Rogue. Alex and Ben attempted to re-name me “Cheeky Knot” because I had shared prior to coming to Georgia and hiking I had a knot in my one butt cheek that hurt when I walked.  They claimed I talked about it for 15 minutes… hence the new name. We also talked about our jobs, different gear, school, and our plans for the next day.

I planned to hike to Gooch Mountain shelter and they said they were willing to hike there to keep me company as I had expressed I found comfort in knowing someone else was close by because I didn’t know how many people would be out on the trail this time of year. *For this trip, camping alone at a shelter by myself was my greatest fear.

For dinner, I ate half a Knorr Rice Side and a wrap with tuna. We attempted to start a fire but considering it rained earlier that day all the wood was wet. Ben and Alex even tried to use their hand sanitizer with no such luck.

The boys had hung all their smell-ables and food using the provided bear cables. I read a notice in the shelter that had read: Bears were getting smarter and were able to chew through or shakedown bear bags from the cables. Bear boxes were to be used.

bear cables .jpg
An example of bear cables with food bags hanging
bear box
Example of a steal bear box

Sitting around the benches and having gotten dark, Ben thought he heard a noise. He used his flashlight, but couldn’t see anything. Remember those kids and their dogs? Yeah, well they had stayed the night before at the shelter sleeping with their food up in the loft a big no, no and dumped a bunch of dog food and a few Cheerios on the ground. A mouse began eating the kibble. Shortly after, we all retreated to bed. I took a Benadryl to help me sleep, read from my Kindle a little, and turned on my music/ sleep timer. Barely sleeping much, I woke up to something creating light pressure on my feet. I kicked my feet and the mouse flew off. A couple times I felt something was near my head and would jolt up scaring it away… probably another mouse.

Sometime after the rain began to start (it echoed on the tin roof),  I began to hear a constant clawing and gnawing on the steal bear box. I tried to tell myself it was just the rain but after 5 hours of hearing this sound, I was pretty sure it was bear. I was too afraid to point my flashlight at the bear box because I didn’t want the bear to know I was in the loft. As the hours passed by, I began to wonder if the guys could even hear what I was hearing behind the shelter…