I decided to tackle Cabot after taking a much needed rest day from hiking. A rest day was not easy for me to take, but I filled it with work, grocery shopping, laundry, and a little bit of meal prep. I also visited some friends from New Hampshire for some ice cream.

Moose Scoops: Maple Walnut and Coconut

It was calling for rain the day I set out for Cabot. Not minding a little rain, I headed out for the trailhead, an hour and half away. I opted for the more direct route 8.8 miles with 2,828 feet of elevation gain.

On my way to the trail, I was pulled over. The speed limit quickly changed from 40 to 35 to 25. By the time, I realized it changed again. I saw the lights behind me.

Cop “Your not from around here are you?” Head nod. “Are you a traveling nurse or something?”

Me: “No, I’m a teacher.”

Cop: “So you are taking classes?”

Me:” No, I’m distant learning.”

Cop: “Where are you from?”

Me: “South Jersey…”

Cop: “Have you had a tickets within the past year?” I was’t quite sure how to answer that. “In New Hampshire.” I had not. “License and registration.” I handed him everything as my hands were shaking. He came back a few minutes later to let me off with a warning. Given everything that had been happening in our world, I couldn’t help but think of my white, female privledge.

I arrived at the trailhead with only one other car in the lot. Even though it had been raining in North Woodstock, the sky looked pretty clear in some spots driving to the start. It started to rain when I got out of the car. It was honestly too hot to put my rain jacket on, but I did anyway.

The trail started off in a high grassy/woodsy area. A few stream crossing but the elevation was gradual. The rest day made my legs weak. My calves were hurting and took a bit of stretching and walking to loosen up.

The trail follows along a stream for a bit. You begin to climb up but begin to wonder if you are getting close because the trail begins to plateau. You reach a trail intersection and start to ascend a more rocky/steep section. I passed a coupe with their dog. I heard a noise to my right and they said “hi there” several times to me. I acknowledged it and answered back but I couldn’t help but think maybe they were saying “Hi bear…” with the sound of their dog up in the trees on the slope.

I passed the fire wardens cabin and thought I was close. It was a little bit further to the wooded summit. It was eerie at the top. The rain had stopped but I was in the clouds. I snapped my photo and headed out of there.

On my way back, the clouds began to clear and I got a view at one of the lookouts, where I stopped for a lunch break.

The only tricky part about hiking up Cabot. The road to the parking is gated, so you can only access this particular lot from 7:30AM-4:00PM. Mount Cabot is another relatively easier 4000 footer but it is an outlier given it’s distance from other peaks.